From: Robert Chan - Tmnet [mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Friday, 30 October, 2009 12:52 AM
To: SJ Alert EMS Community (email@example.com)
Subject: Car Break-in at Carrefour Carpark on Monday, 26/10/2009 at 8.45pm
I went to Carrefour Subang Jaya with the family on Monday 26/10/2009 at about 8.00pm to get a quick dinner remembering that a few weeks back someone reported to SJ Alert EMS that her car was broken into whilst she was there. I parked the car very close to the 3rd floor entrance as I normally do, I don't just park in any available parking space and most times I would even wait for such parking space to become available.
See all the pictures here
Having found what I thought was a safe enough place (four cars away and facing the entrance), I thought nothing of leaving my Computer & Digital cameras in the car. These items were well hidden behind the driver's seat. It was not possible to see inside the rear of the car as I have very heavy tints and sun shades that permanently covered the rear windows. We went our merry way, thinking that since the period at Carrefour would be very short it would be okay,
We finally did not have Dinner at Carrefour and returned to the car at around 9.15pm to find that the rear driver's window of my car was smashed and items inside removed. I will post the pictures that I took with my mobile phones at a later date when my Computer system is purchased.
What I lost
These are the Material things that were stolen
1. Dell Vostro Notebook (Service Tag No.D94FS1S / Express Service Code: 288-498-206-08) which I was bringing home to re-install Windows Vista Business together with all the original CDs, external Hard Disks, My Internet Banking Security Cards and Internet Banking Dongles, etc...
2. A Canon 7.1 Megapixel Compact Digital Camera and
3. My newly purchased (02/10/09) Pentax Digital SLR Camera (Serial No. 3166127147442) & Lens (Serial No.6501617147392)., including a few hi capacity SDHC Cards and other photographic accessories... I was to use the camera the next day to take pictures of the various proposed LRT sites to highlight at the www.lrttosubangjaya.blogspot.com website so that residents have a better perspective when they submit their comments and feedbacks.
Total cost of my carelessness: RM6,000.00
What is not so easy to replace
What I also lost was 20days of my working life (according to my last full backup of my Hard Disk), these included almost all the emails and files that I used to setup the LRT to Subang Jaya/USJ Website, SJ Alert members registration and other work related research and more than 2500 pictures I took with the new camera during my recent overseas trips.
There was a witness who saw the incident (he works as a promoter at Carrefour). He said that as he was parking his car at about 8.45pm, he noticed a small sized Chinese looking guy reaching into and removing things from my car and immediately ran to a waiting motorcycle upon been spotted. This witness says he is able to identify the criminal and that he was willing to help the Police and Carrefour to spot the crook if he should decide to return to do his dirty deed again..
I am sorry that I have added to the crime statistics in Subang Jaya, that I am one very careful person with regards to ensuring that there are no opportunities for crime to happen actually amounts to nothing. I suppose you can say that no one is immune to Crime, we can only always remember to be vigilant to prevent it from happening..I have been dispensing advice as if I was some expert in Crime prevention sadly I have been brought down to earth.
Together with Mr. Teoh of SJ Echo, we approached the management of Carrefour Subang Jaya the very next day. And after a long discussion with Mr. Antoine Gerrier - the Store Director, Mr. Micheal Chang the Security Officer in the presence of Ms Kumutha Veeriah the Customer Care Manager, we have been assured that Carrefour Subang Jaya will dispense their Corporate responsibilities by taking immediate steps to prevent another such incident from happening in their premises and to their customers, these steps include::
1. Brightening all Car Park areas in Carrefour Subang Jaya
2. Installing CCTV around the Car park areas with clear indications to would-be criminals that the area is CCTV monitored
3. Increased regular patrols by their security personnel
all these to be implemented within 2 weeks from the date of our meeting. We have also been invited by Mr. Antoine Gerrier to make a joint inspection together with the Police that the needful has been done.
By the way Antoine is now a member of SJ Alert.
Crime prevention is a shared responsibility.... there I go again, dispensing advice, sorry..
And YES a Police report was made.
For more comments with regards to the Car Break-in at Carrefour Subang Jaya goto: